Monday

Über Talk: Idris Elba


Last night was the 83rd Academy Awards(Oscars) and as usual the lack of blacks represented was not present, or so I heard since I didn't watch the entire show. However, another Hollywood A-Lister made it apparent that he feels the same way. In honor of black history month, actor Idris Elba was a featured speaker at Rutgers University's Newark Campus for the Lens Project's "Artist Spotlight" series and he had no problem telling the audience how he feels about blacks in Hollywood. “Halle Berry and I were the only two black actors nominated for this year’s Golden Globes (Idris for Luther and Halle for Frankie & Alice). The Oscars aren’t designed for us…let’s focus on making more films.” When asked about the Tyler Perry and Spike Lee debate he goes on to say,

I don’t like all of Tyler Perry’s films. Yes, I did work with Tyler for
“Daddy’s Little Girls” because it portrayed a positive image of a black father.
I am happy for Tyler’s success…we need Tyler Perry…by going to support his
movies, we need to show economic strength. But we are also responsible for
elevating film. I’m not with buffoonish characters like Madea or Big Momma."


Out of all the black actors in Hollywood I was more than surprise Idris Elba felt this way, hopefully next year blacks will have another "Precious" moment and make history we like we did last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...