Friday

Über Talk: Jay-Z Hosts Carnival To Benefit Urban Youth



Jay-Z held a spectacular event to benefit his charity The Shawn Carter Foundation that provides college scholarships to urban youth. The event of choice was a mega carnival on the Hudson River waterfront that was dubbed ‘An Evening of Making The Ordinary Extraordinary.’

Jay told Necole Bitchie :

“I got an email this morning and it said ‘some people climb the ladder to success and then pull the ladder up behind them and then some people climb that ladder and then once they get to the top, start pulling people up behind them.’ And then it said ‘and you’re one of those people’ and that was the first email I got this morning, and that felt…kinda nice. This all wasn’t necessarily my plan. And it’s not that there was one particular moment. Its just that I know where I’ve come from and as I’ve built piece by piece I know I have a responsibility to help those who come behind me. There’s going to be more executives than artists, and they are going to need an education, so if I can help…"

Among the guest list was his beautiful wife Beyonce, Estelle, Questlove, Alex Rodriguez and many more.

With tickets going for $1,000 a pop along with raffles and sponsor donations, the foundation raised $1,033,000.00 in scholarship money. Awesome!

To view the entire photo gallery from the event visit Necole Bitchie

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...